In a previous post, we talked about our updated pornography prevention materials, explaining why the concept of modesty was unlinked from the concept of pornography.
- Modesty is “an attitude of propriety and decency in dress, grooming, language, and behavior,” says lds.org/topics
- Pornography is “bad pictures of people with little or no clothes on,” says the Church video “What should I do when I see pornography?”
While these two concepts both deal with our bodies, they can actually be quite different in intent and motive.
For more about teaching modesty, see
Kristine Haglund’s insightful post “On Modesty” https://bycommonconsent.com/2019/03/19/modesty/
SELECTED SCRIPTURES FOR FAMILY SCRIPTURE STUDY:
- Genesis 3: 21 – God showed Adam and Eve the importance of modest clothing to cover bodies.
- 1 Timothy 4:12 “Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”
- Isaiah 52:11 “Be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the Lord.”
- Matthew 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.”
- Romans 12:1 “[P]resent your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God.”
- 1 Corinthians 3:16 “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”
- Mormon 9:28 “Be wise in the days of your probation; strip yourselves of all uncleanness; ask . . . that ye will yield to no temptation, but that ye will serve the true and living God.”
- 13th Article of Faith “We believe in being . . . chaste. If there is anything virtuous, lovely. . . we seek after these things.”
- “Modesty means. . . ” how I act, how I dress, how I speak, how I treat my body, how I treat others. Friend, August 2016
- “Modesty Checklist,” Friend, May 2010
- My Gospel Standards, published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2003. List of standards for Primary children to maintain personal purity and keep the commandments. Order at store.lds.org or download for free at www.lds.org
- For the Strength of Youth: Fulfilling Our Duty to God, published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2001. Booklet for youth about standards of dress and behavior. Order at store.lds.org or download for free at www.lds.org