Another fantastic idea from our guest author Jenn, who describes herself as “a Primary President and a mom to three little boys . . . and she tries her hardest to choose the right!” This might just be the funnest General Conference project yet!
I made this General Conference chart for my son for General Conference this year. He absolutely LOVED playing with it, and it made Conference a lot more enjoyable and special for us. I figured others might enjoy making a similar chart for their families, so I’m posting pictures, instructions, and attachments here!
See? President Monson and all of the first presidency and apostles are sitting in their comfy red chairs!
I got the pictures of the chairs and the podium from The Friend magazine. They are really small in The Friend, though, so I enlarged them on my computer and printed them out in the appropriate sizes (see below if you want my enlarged versions). The poster is laminated, and the General Authority page from the middle of the Conference Ensign is laminated too. They are all attached with Velcro dots (one of my favorite things in the entire universe).
When it’s President Monson’s turn to speak, you can take him out of his chair . . .
And let him “stand” at the podium! My son insisted that we draw the microphone on the podium. Later, we ended up adding a 3-D microphone (made from a black pin).
All of the other apostles are Velcro-ed into their chairs, ready to take their turn at the microphone.
There are 15 extra little chairs on the back row for the other speakers. Since we don’t know the speakers in advance, I just laminated the whole page (as well as the page in the back of the Ensign with the auxiliary presidencies), and then we cut them out during Conference, let them “speak,” and then put them in a seat on the back row.
This chart proved to be very helpful in getting my kids to focus during Conference. The best part was that my son actually played with it for weeks afterward! He loved moving the people around on the chart while pretending to have his own little General Conference.
If you want to make your own Conference Chart, it’s really easy:
1. Print these documents: conference chairs 3 (from The Friend magazine) and pictures of the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles. If you like, you can print all the potential speakers from lds.org “Current Church Leaders” but you may prefer to simply laminate the center spread of the previous General Conference Ensign magazine.
2. Cut out all of the chairs and the podium (draw microphone if you wish).
3. Cut a regular white poster board in half (hot-dog-wise, as opposed to hamburger-wise).
4. Glue chairs and podium on with a glue stick.
5. Get poster and the two General Authority pages laminated.
6. Cut out pictures and add Velcro dots.